Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chapter 5 part 1: The Strike and Montmartre.

Finally, the experience has begun. Last Thursday was our first day of orientation and finally the Sarah Lawrence College people all got to meet the students from the other colleges. The majority of them come from Claremont, California, but there are a few people from elsewhere. It's a good group. 

But, I'm sort of getting ahead of myself. There were several days before then un accounted for.

Well in those days, nothing terribly exciting in terms of events, but I met some cool people.

On Monday night I met up with a girl from our program and a friend of hers who is here with another program. We went to a bar in th latin quarter and had a drink and then walked around in the rain for a while looking for this jazz place. Alas, it was nowhere to be found. (but I WILL find it) After that I went to my friend Katherine's apartment that she's sharing with a friend of hers and we had some wine and laughs. Good evening.

The next day on Tuesday, Katherine, her friend, and I all went up to Montmartre and the Sacré Coeur. What a gorgeous view from that hilltop. really stunning. And then to walk around the neighborhood of Montmartre was really pretty. There were a lot of touristy places, but just the architecture and the beauty around counteracted all of the touristy BS. And then we descended into Paris' red light district.How did we know? well when the amount of strip clubs and sex shops exceed the amount of restaurants and shops, you have a good idea.  Personally, I''m not a red light district kind of person, and I have no desire to be. But it was cool to see the Moulin Rouge, so that's something I guess. 
The day we went to Montmartre was the day of ''la greve'' which means Strike. All of the metro trains were running at about half capacity, and the express RER trains were not even open. You couldn't even walk into the station. Why? The French government is trying to raise the retirement age to 62. I know, OUTRAGEOUS! (please note sarcasm) but nevertheless, it was something we had to deal with that day, and it was an ORDEAL. 
We get into the metro station from the red light district and go the the platform. the platform is full of people (mostly ''refreshed'' looking business men who I imagine partook in the benefits that the red light district has to offer) then the train pulls up and it also is jammed packed with people. We literally could not get on the train. we had to let it pass. Not just once but at least 4 times. Finally Katherine, but her friend and I were still left standing at the station. Eventually what we had to do was to go back in the other direction a stop, get on the train there and then ride it back. Not a fun time standing for 45 minutes squished together by about 50 French people while you travel all the way across town back to your room. Needless to say, I stayed in the rest of the night. 

But aside from those events, the most interesting things that have happened have been the meeting of people. I've finally met a French person! her name is Hannah and she is très chouette! She's very good at english as well as french so she makes a good person to speak to for practice. We get a long quite nicely and I believe that this is the start of une bonne amité.

Okay, so that brings us to Thursday, which is the start of Orientation! 

which I will finish tomorrow, because it is not very late here and I have an 8:30am meeting tomorrow! 

I will tell you tales of crazy latin quarter nights tomorrow!

Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment